The XPA-DR1 is a true monoblock power amplifier, and features a single Differential Reference Amplifier Module, in a true monoblock configuration, powered by its own dedicated 3 kW switch mode power supply. The XPA-DR1 provides massive power, superb dynamics, incredible resolution, and absolute control. If you’re looking for the very best sound quality, with virtually endless reserves of power against a jet black noise floor, this is the amplifier for you.
The XPA-DR1 delivers 650 watts RMS into 8 Ohms, and 1000 watts RMS (that’s 1 kW) into 4 Ohms, with less than 0.1% THD.
The Power Supply: The Foundation Of A Great Amplifier
In amplifier design, everything starts with the power supply. The XPA-DR1 features a custom-configured version of our high-current switch mode power supply (SMPS) – a lightweight, powerful, intelligent design capable of delivering over 3 kW of continuous power with absolute reliability and extremely high efficiency. The cutting edge SMPS offers the dynamic attributes of a classic transformer-based design with none of the drawbacks. Like the best transformer-based power supplies, our SMPS delivers plenty of continuous power to enable our amplifier modules to live up to their full performance potential, and plenty of dynamic power to ensure that musical peaks will never be compressed or limited. However, compared to transformer-based designs, our SMPS is lighter and more efficient; it’s also fully regulated, which ensures optimum performance under a wider range of load conditions.
The Latest In A Long Line Of Great Amplifiers
The Differential Reference Amplifier Modules Emotiva use in their XPA-DR amplifiers use the same basic circuit topology as our legendary XPR series amplifiers. A unique differential input stage, with a cross-linked current source, drives a balanced voltage amplification stage, and this advanced input circuitry delivers an incredibly accurate and pure audio signal to the complementary, fully discrete output stage. A pair of these modules work together in perfect synergy to power a single channel of one of our new fully balanced, fully differential, XPA-DR amplifiers. Together they deliver a holistic, natural, and powerful listening experience. Low-level musical details and dialogue emerge from a deep black background; musical crescendos are delivered with both stunning impact and precision. The wide bandwidth, low distortion performance of the XPA-DR1 reveals every nuance of your high-resolution music sources, and it has plenty of power to drive even difficult loudspeakers with absolute authority and control.
Class A/B Sound Quality Meets Optimized Class H Efficiency
The Differential Reference™ Module in the XPA-DR1 utilizes a matched pair of amplifier modules, each of which features our fully analog Class A/B output stage, and our highly regarded Soft-Switch™ Class H power supply topology, which increases their efficiency significantly without compromising the audio performance you’d expect from an Emotiva amplifier. The output stage in each operates on a lower supply voltage at low power levels to minimize quiescent power consumption and standby power losses, instantly switching to a higher voltage rail when needed to ensure the signal passes cleanly and without clipping. This process happens on a continuous basis in real time, allowing greater overall efficiency, cooler operation, longer component life, reduced power consumption, and increased reliability.
The Benefits Of A Fully Differential Balanced Power Amplifier
Most experts agree that, if you want the absolute best sound quality and technical performance, you should use dedicated separate components. Because Emotiva’s power amplifiers are designed for a single purpose, they can concentrate on ensuring that they perform that one task very well, and avoid the compromises inherent in products that are expected to perform a variety of different functions.
The Differential Reference Module in the XPA-DR1 is made up of a perfectly symmetrical balanced pair of high-performance amplifier modules. Each individual amplifier module already has vanishingly low distortion but, by connecting them as a balanced differential pair, a significant portion of the tiny amount of remaining nonlinearity is cancelled out. As a result, we are able to achieve even lower levels of distortion in the XPA-DR1, resulting in remarkably transparent sound, with unprecedented smoothness and clarity.
Finally, because the XPA-DR1 is a true monoblock, and only contains a single power supply and amplifier channel, even the slightest possibility of interaction between channels is eliminated, ensuring the best possible isolation between channels, and perfect channel separation. When you put it all together, the XPA-DR1 is simply the finest amplifier we can devise, and we’re sure you’ll be as impressed with its performance as we are.
Designed and Assembled in the USA with Globally Sourced Components
The XPA-DR1 is designed, assembled, and tested in the USA, where Emotiva use the finest materials and latest technologies to bring you world-class products. Each Emotiva amplifier is carefully designed with premium components to deliver a stunningly capable, reliable, and refined system.
The Latest and Greatest
A new approach to amplifier design.
When Emotiva set out to make the new X Series line, they analyzed everything in every amplifier they’ve ever made, from front to back, inside, and out. In doing so, they discovered several areas where years of experience and advances in audio technology indicated that they could make significant improvements in their amplifier designs. After carefully weighing all the pros and cons, they kept the best features of our original designs, added a new set of optimizations and improvements, and the result became the foundation of their new line of audiophile amplifiers. The new XPA-DR amplifiers are the fully differential members of the new XPA amplifier family, and carry the philosophy of continuous product improvement to its ultimate conclusion.
Each XPA-DR Differential Reference Monoblock Power Amplifier is comprised of a heavy-duty chassis, which houses Emotiva’s massively overdesigned, fully regulated, 3 kW switch mode power supply, and up to three Differential Reference™ Amplifier Modules. The front panel display and protection system are designed to work with the maximum number of channels, and so need not be updated when the XPA-DR is expanded; on the rear panel, slots not occupied by amplifier modules will be covered with protective cover panels. (Because the XPA-DR1 is configured with a single Differential Reference Module, up to two additional modules can be added later.)
Note: To ensure that amplifier channels are always installed properly, and function to Emotiva specifications, amplifier modules must be installed by Emotiva, or by authorized Emotiva service representatives.
Differential Reference™ Performance And Sound Quality
- High-powered, fully-differential, low distortion amplifier design delivers massive dynamics with smooth precision, offering superbly detailed sound and incredibly natural imaging.
- A true monoblock, where each chassis houses the power supply and amplifier circuitry for a single channel, for the absolute ultimate in performance and channel separation.
Sound Quality First
- Designed first and foremost to sound superb in all types of audio systems with all types of music.
- Low noise, low distortion, wideband amplifier design with traditional Class A/B output stage ensures smooth, detailed sound, without a trace of strain or harshness.
- Totally stable with real world speakers in real systems; not just on a test bench.
Modern Efficient Circuit Design
- Optimized Soft-Switch Class H™ power supply topology delivers improved efficiency without compromising audio performance.
- Switched Mode Power Supply (SMPS) offers all of the performance of a traditional linear power supply, with improved efficiency and reliability, and reduced overall weight.
- Top quality parts and construction throughout for years of reliable trouble-free service.
- Heavy steel 4RU chassis with milled aluminum faceplate offers strength and rugged good looks.
- Solid machined gold-plated RCA input connectors provide a reliable connection with a wide variety of audio interconnects.
- Fully modular construction allows you to purchase as many channels as you need today, and then add more channels later when and if you need them.
- Designed, assembled, and tested in the U.S.A.
Flexible Signal Connections and Power Options
- Gold plated five-way speaker binding posts with clear shields allow you to use a wide range of speaker cables with bare wires, lugs, or banana plugs.
- Choice of balanced or unbalanced input for each channel, independently controlled by reliable metal toggle switches.
- Remote trigger input and output allow the XPA-DR1 to control and be controlled by other trigger-enabled equipment.
- World compliant AC line voltage operation enables the XPA-DR1 to operate on any line voltage between 100 VAC and 250 VAC 50/60Hz.
- Standard IEC power inlet fits all standard IEC power cables and most custom audiophile power cables.
- Audiophile-grade fault protection is entirely transparent under normal listening conditions, yet protects the amp and your other equipment from virtually all common faults.
- The XPA-DR1 is protected from AC line faults by a rugged resettable rear panel push-button circuit breaker.
- Full five-year warranty ensures that you’ll be able to enjoy your XPA-DR1 amplifier for years to come.